Thursday, February 19, 2009

4 years ago...

I made this great cake! I had to get the picture from the negative, then scan the print. The quality isn't too hot, but the cake was terrific. This was sooo much fun to make. I printed a copy of Shaggy and Scooby Doo, made so many different colors of Wilton's Easy Flow Icing and traced the picture onto wax paper. Outlining in black first, letting it dry completely. The resulting circle decoration was like a giant piece of sugar candy. The purple and green flowers were made the same way.

The spray cans of food color were new that year, so I tried that too for the smaller yellow flowers. Didn't like the effect enough to ever try it again. But the color flow icing...I liked that enough to make Bob the Builder for Bill's birthday that same year.

One other thing I have learned since then: if you run your icing spatula under water, shake it and then finish final layer of icing, you get a very smooth result. Clearly, I hadn't mastered the smooth icing here. The bottom right corner shows my weakness, icing that won't stick on the edges. With a damp spatula though, no problem.

No comments: