Friday, March 7, 2008

Like A Child

Luke 18:17 Jesus said "Amen, I say to you whoever does not accept the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it."

Just the other day, I went to the store to by baby formula with Holly and Anna. As we were in line, a very normal thing happened when you bring a baby carrier into a store. A woman in line walked around me to see the baby. Since it was so early in the morning, I really wasn't up for what might happen next, so I did not turn around to initiate a conversation. Some people pretend there is nothing different about Holly, others are sympathetic, some just turn around, as if they didn't mean to approach after all. I think that is what this lady did, begin to approach and then turn around.

Anna has handled this with only the wisdom of a child, seeing the kingdom of God. She remarked once we were in the car: 'Hey mom, I think that seeing little babies at the store is so rare that some people are surprised at how little they are." Anna never, ever thinks about Holly's smile. Even when Holly was just born and my sisters explained what they would see when they came to visit at the hospital, Anna's first comment was "I think she is so beautiful no one will even notice her lip!"

I need to learn to be more like Anna, a lot less cynical and a whole lot more forgiving. Especially to see "Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done" right here and now.

No comments: