Thursday, October 30, 2008

Feasting Season Looms

Someone searched on the phrase "what does enough is as good as a feast mean?" With the many food laden holidays in our near future, I'll take a moment to refresh my memory.

Enough is as good as a feast. Here's the point: Does the first bite taste as good as the last? Usually the first bite taste best, or the last bite tastes the same. Not better. Feasting, or over eating does not add to the flavor of the meal. In the end, you feel worse for having eaten too much.

Enough is as good as a feast. Eat just enough. Until you are full. Not over full. That feeling is as good as, or better, than feasting. In the end you feel better than be stuffed!

Enough is as good as a feast. How do you know when is enough? God created us to know. When you eat, listen for a small sigh. That's when you now you are actually full, but not stuffed to the gills. Small reflection here: I used to think that sigh meant I calmed down enough to really begin eating! I would wait until I was starving to eat, then begin eating, sigh and think, ok, now enjoy your meal. Boy, was I wrong.

Enough is as good as a feast. After several poor eating habit weeks, I will try again to face the onslaught of candy, cupcakes, cookies, and treats with renewed self control. Try to really enjoy the first few bites of each item, and offer up the rest.

No comments: