Monday, October 6, 2008

Holly's Next Surgery

This Wednesday, please join our prayers for Holly's hard palate repair. That the closure will hold, no holes, that the extra reflux medicine will make a difference.

I have often wondered about this verse from Romans 5:3

"Not only that, but we even boast of our afflictions, knowing that affliction produces endurance, and endurance, proven character, and proven character, hope,
and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the holy Spirit that has been given to us."

Do I have "the right stuff", to encounter affliction and have that encounter produce endurance. And should I outlast the affliction, would it in the end give me hope?

Well, after this past month of trying to heal Holly's diaper infection (no mere rash), I may not have the endurance of a Marine, but I am beginning to understand this verse a little better.

I still have HOPE. What I wanted was a week or two of blissful, healthy, happy baby days before this surgery. But what we have ended up with is a few moments here and there, a little victory one day, a set back on another. And now, just days before upsetting the whole apple cart, I believe that, yes, affliction can produce hope. I have not given up yet.

Jesus, I still trust in You.

1 comment:

Adawk said...

Good luck tomorrow, you will be in my thoughts.