Thursday, June 19, 2008

Three Strikes And You're Out

This has been a hard week, suffered a few blows to my pride. The most recent, and third for the week, is a letter from the CDC. Yes, the Center for Disease Control. There is a study for birth defects, and lucky me, we been selected to participate.


I can say No. Still, as an incentive, $20 was included for my inconvenience. Since I haven't done anything but walk to the mail box, I suppose the inconvenience is being reminded that Holly does have a birth defect. No small thing, mind you. I have been basking in the possibility of Holly Marie being named "Baby of the Year" by our local paper. Not that she has, but the potential is so nice to think about.


So, do we participate, and run the risk of more mind numbing doubts: Did I do something wrong? There will be an hour long survey. I am sure the questions will be very in depth. And there is the very real possibility that this "research" could be twisted to somehow, someday support abortion. (England is already grappling with this issue.)


So, what's a girl to do when she's struck out? I headed for the lemon poppy seed muffins. And had taken a bite before I remember to look UP. My thoughts were "Is this going to change Holly's situation? No, and now you've wasted a perfectly good muffin." Into the trash with now marred cake. Hope the sacrifice counts, despite blogging about it!

No comments: