Monday, November 16, 2009

Peace, Joy Part 1

It's been a while since I have posted any type of meditation or reflection. Most likely because I have struggled the last several months with hurt feelings. Trying to work on forgiving people and remembering to be merciful can wear you down.

After one more round of "I can not believe they just did that" this weekend, I have got to take a moment reflect on this wave of hurt feelings. What if it isn't them? What if it's me? I mean, I know its not all me but at some point you just have to ask.

Years and years ago, when we were newlyweds, I came across this book Life Without Strife by Joyce Meyer. This was the beginning of a huge change in our marriage. Recognizing strife when it appears, and importantly my part in it, brought a tremendous amount of peace to our home.

I want that peace again. I'm tired of being hurt all the time. Here's my part to look for peace again: Over the next few days, I am going to study some readings from the Bible to refresh my mind and remember where true peace comes from.

To begin at the very beginning: What is strife? It is division, quarrel, hurt feelings, confusion, contention and hatred. Strife affects every area of life, every relationship you can have. There are, of course, many causes of strife. I want to be able to recognize these causes and overcome them. Two verses to pray about today:

Lord, open my eyes to hear your word and my heart to understand. Help me to recognize strife when it occurs and to strive instead to see you in every situation.

Hatred, anger and sharp temper can cause strife.
  • Hatred stirs up disputes, but love covers all offenses. Prov 10:12
  • An ill-tempered man stirs up disputes, and a hotheaded man is the cause of many sins. Prov 29:22

No comments: