Saturday, November 14, 2009

New Plan

Two years ago, I had our grocery budget well in control. I planned, clipped coupons, made and published grocery lists and even had food to share.

Today, new game. Our grocery budget is out-of-control. And there is still never anything in the house to cook a whole meal.

Last year's strategy was a free online meal planner, that showed up in your email every week. I like it, alot. But after a few months, I realized I couldn't afford to buy just anything in the store. I have to shop the sales to make ends meet.

Enter E-ZMeals. This is a similar service, but it is not free. However, if I save the money they say I will, $1.25 cents a week is less than the cost of a newspaper to get the coupons to clip!

This service offers a choice of lists from several grocery stores. I choose the Aldi's plan for 4-6 people. I get a 7 menus and recipes as well as a shopping list. And spend $70 for a weeks worth of dinners.

My first impressions of this service are as follows:
  • The menus are actually things my family will eat!
  • There was only ONE suggested meal that I personally would not make (cheese soup), but that's personal. If weeks come up with more than one meal that I wouldn't make that would not be good.
  • There were a few items on the list that weren't exactly the same as the store. For examples at our Aldi's lemons were sold by the bag, not individually. Not a big problem, I know we'll use the extras anyway.
  • I spent a total of $90 ($20 more than the list on breakfast and lunch stuff). That's way better than I have done anywhere else recently.
  • And I know that I have all the ingredients to make a complete meal for dinner.
Next week, I'll post an update. Even if I only use the first three months subscription, I hope it will carry us through the holiday season with a tame grocery budget.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will be watching to see how you like it. It's a good idea.