Friday, December 4, 2009

Peace, Joy Part 8

Last post on the subject. There is just a few more things to consider when you want to keep strife out of your life.

What I want is peace, what I want to avoid is disharmony, quarrels, hatred.

Nothing creates an environment for gossip and harmful chatter quicker than a group of women. (Hey, I am a woman. I can say that.) Years ago, I used to scrapbook with a very lovely bunch of women. All of us young mothers. Most of us with kids in the same preschool. Still, I knew those scrapbooking nights were prime opportunities to gossip. And that meant disharmony.

I posted that verse from Psalms in my scrapbook box where I would see it. Set a guard, LORD, before my mouth, a gatekeeper at my lips Psalm 141:3 Some days, I wish I could have it on a teleprompter everywhere I go! It is so important to watch what you say.

Every encounter you have is a chance to see Jesus. We will end this reflection on finding Peace and Joy in the midst of hurt feelings with the following verses.

Lord, open my eyes to hear your word and my heart to understand. Help me to recognize strife when it occurs and to strive instead to see you in every situation.

A mild answer calms wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. Proverbs 15:18

Strive for peace with everyone, and for that holiness without which no one will see the Lord. Hebrews 12:14

Therefore, if you bring your gift to the altar, and there recall that your brother has anything against you, leave your gift there at the altar, go first and be reconciled with your brother, and then come and offer your gift. Matthew 5:23

Then Peter approaching asked him, "Lord, if my brother sins against me, how often must I forgive him? As many as seven times?" Jesus answered, "I say to you, not seven times but seventy-seven times. Matthew 18:21-22

No comments: